Home » Cricket star’s alleged horror texts to woman

Cricket star’s alleged horror texts to woman

Disgraced former Australian cricket great Michael Slater bombarded a woman with up to 300 abusive texts calling her a “c**t” and “s**t” in a horrific DV-related tirade, police allege.

Fresh allegations against the former Test cricketer and commentator have been detailed in court documents after Mr Slater collapsed in court during an appearance on Tuesday.

The 54-year-old unsuccessfully applied for bail at Maroochydore Magistrates Court, following his arrest at the weekend.

Mr Slater is facing multiple domestic violence-related offences alleged to have occurred between December last year and up to last week.

Mr Slater, dressed in prison greens, placed his head in his hands upon learning his bail bid had been refused.

He then collapsed while being led back to the cells by Corrective Services staff.

Mr Slater’s charges include enter dwelling with intent by break at night, choking, assault occasioning bodily harm, stalking and breaching bail.

They are all alleged to have occurred between December 5, 2023 and April 12 this year.

Police allege in court documents that Mr Slater sent the woman more than 300 messages over these dates.

About 203 were allegedly sent from the afternoon of March 10 to the morning of March 11, calling her a “c**”, “escort”, “liar” and “sl*t” several times throughout the tirade, and threats to take his own life.

Others on different dates included statements such as: “OK I am coming to you”; “You’re going to hurt me aren’t you” and “What have you done”.

A further 100 texts were sent on April 10 – starting at 8.44am in the morning and ending at 8.37pm, police allege in the documents.

Police further allege in the documents Mr Slater accessed the woman’s CCTV camera on the front porch of her house on March 17, turning it around to face into her home.

This allegedly occurred while the woman was giving a statement to officers at Noosa Police Station.

They were alerted through an app on her phone and allegedly observed Mr Slater peering into the home.

Legal Aid solicitor Michael Robinson on Tuesday told the court his client planned to reside in a rehab facility in Sydney if released from custody.

Maroochydore Magistrates Court was told Mr Slater denied any allegations of violence against the complainant.

In a letter to the court Mr Slater’s doctor outlined the 54-year-old’s mental health issues and said he acted in an “impulsive, reckless and uncharacteristic manner”.

Mr Robinson said the Sydney clinic had confirmed Mr Slater was booked to visit last week.

“There’s documented evidence in front of the court that shows he’ll be out of the court’s jurisdiction, in a mental rehab facility, basically doing something about addressing the (alleged) behaviour,” Mr Robinson said.

Bail was opposed by police, who alleged Mr Slater was an unacceptable risk of committing further offences if it were granted.

The court was told CCTV captured footage of the former cricket great allegedly breaking into the home of the complainant just last week.

It is alleged Mr Slater repeatedly screams “f**k you” and “where’s your daughter” before smashing his way into the home.

The former cricket star is then alleged to have assaulted her by grabbing her arm firmly.

“She’s pleading with him to stop repeatedly, she’s in a state of undress, cowering, clearly scared for her safety,” Sergeant Newman told the court on Tuesday.

“We say the strength of the evidence is good.”

Mr Slater’s choking and assault occasioning bodily harm charge related to allegations he hit the woman at his Noosa Heads home, after she attended over concerns for his welfare.

Police allege Mr Slater then choked her in the laundry as she attempted to get away.

It is further alleged he threatened to kill her while wielding an empty vodka bottle.

The breach of bail charge alleges Mr Slater returned a BAC of .119 per cent when he was arrested, despite bail conditions requiring him to be under 0.05 per cent.

Sergeant Newman said the court could have “no comfort” in bail conditions proposed by Mr Slater, pointing to comments made by his treating doctor.

He said Mr Slater had criminal relevant histories across NSW and Queensland.

Bail was ultimately refused by magistrate Raelene Ellis.

“Some of these offences were committed within 24 hours of the first court appearance date for other hours,” she said.

Mr Slater scored 5312 runs, playing 74 test matches and 42 one-day internationals for Australia between 1993 and 2001 over his cricketing career.

He then transitioned to commentary with Channels 7 and 9 after retiring.