Home » Guide To Travel Insurance For Japan

Guide To Travel Insurance For Japan

Check the DFAT’s advice

DFAT publishes up-to-date information on travel risks in certain countries and regions of countries, on its Smarttraveller website. This includes terrorism threats and natural disasters.

It is particularly important to know if DFAT advises not to travel to your destination, as travelling against its advice could invalidate your policy.

Make Sure Your Passport Is Valid

As with some other countries, you may be refused entry to Japan if your passport expires within six months of your arrival date.

On landing, your photograph and fingerprint may be taken electronically, and immigration may deny your entry should you refuse to comply.

Stay Up To Date with Vaccinations

Check which vaccinations you may need before travelling, with your doctor. The US-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends all visitors take vaccinations for the following before travelling to Japan:

  • Chickenpox (Varicella)
  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis
  • Flu (influenza)
  • Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
  • Polio
  • Shingles

Have the Right Currency

The Japanese currency is the Yen (JPY). While you can take any currency into the country, you’ll have to declare, when arriving and leaving, any amount over JPY 1 million, or equivalent. This is 10,257 dollars.

Know the Rules for Driving in Japan

You can drive up to a year with an Australian driving licence and International Driving Permit. If you intend to drive in Japan beyond 12 months, you will need a Japanese driving licence.

Emergency Services

The emergency number for the medical, fire and rescue services in Japan is 119. For the police, it’s 110. If you’re in Tokyo, you can also call 35010110 for English-speaking police.